Levitra is a phosphodiesterase 5 (PDE5) inhibitor, which means it works by blocking the enzyme responsible for the breakdown of cyclic guanosine monophosphate (cGMP), a substance that is important for the regulation of blood flow to the penis.
Generic Levitra is used to contend with impotence, a circumstance wherein a male is unable to achieve or support an erection suitable for sex. It may also be used to treat other conditions as determined by a doctor.
Levitra may sometimes lead to headache, flushing, stuffy nose, and indigestion. In addition, rarer reactions could be dizziness, back pain, muscle aches and changes in eyesight or hearing. However, far more serious complications can arise from Levitra – an erection that persists for over 4 hours, and chest pain.
Price in Canada
In Canada, the price of Levitra can vary depending on whether you are purchasing the brand-name version or the generic version. Brand-name Levitra is manufactured by Bayer and is typically more expensive than the generic version. The price of brand-name Levitra can vary depending on the dosage and quantity you are purchasing, as well as your insurance coverage. For example, a 30-day supply of brand-name Levitra tablets may cost around $200-$300 without insurance.
Generic Levitra, on the other hand, is typically less expensive than the brand-name version. The generic version is made by various manufacturers and is available in both tablets and oral jelly form. The price of generic Levitra can also vary depending on the dosage and quantity you are purchasing, as well as your insurance coverage. For example, a 30-day supply of generic Levitra tablets may cost around $50-$100 without insurance.
The price of Levitra, whether it is brand-name or generic, may vary depending on the place of purchase. For instance, the cost may differ between a retail pharmacy and an online pharmacy. Therefore, it is advisable to compare prices and consider all options before making a purchase.
Indications and Dosage
Generic Levitra is indicated for the treatment of erectile dysfunction in men. This condition is characterized by difficulty achieving or maintaining an erection sufficient for sexual activity.
General Administration Instructions
The customary starting dose for Levitra is 10 mg, ingested orally, as necessary, approximately 60 minutes before intercourse. The dosage may be boosted to a maximum of 20 mg or reduced to 5 mg, based on the efficacy and tolerance of the drug.
In geriatric patients over 65 years, the prescribed initial dose of Levitra is 5 mg, taken orally. The dosage may be as high as 10 mg or as low as 2.5 mg, depending on the efficiency and tolerability of the medication.
For patients with hepatic impairment, the suggested initial dose of Levitra is 5 mg, consumed orally. The dosage may be augmented up to 10 mg or decreased to 2.5 mg, according to the effectiveness and tolerability of the medicine.
In persons with renal impairment, the proposed preliminary dose of Levitra is 5 mg, ingested orally, as required, about 60 minutes before sexual intercourse.
When taking Levitra with certain other medications, the dosage of Levitra may need to be adjusted. These medications include:
- Nitrates. Levitra should not be taken with nitrates, as this can result in an abrupt hypotonia.
- CYP3A4 Inhibitors. When taken with CYP3A4 inhibitors, such as ketoconazole or ritonavir, the dose of Levitra should not exceed 5 mg in a 24-hour period.
- Alpha-Blockers. When taken with alpha-blockers, such as doxazosin or tamsulosin, the starting dose of Levitra should be reduced to 5 mg.
Side Effects of Levitra Generic
While Levitra generic is generally well-tolerated, like all medications, it may cause side effects in some people. Below, we will discuss the common, severe, and rare side effects of Levitra, as well as the body systems that may be affected by these side effects. It is important to note that not all people will experience side effects, and those that do may experience different side effects. It is important to talk to a doctor if any side effects occur while taking Levitra.
Common side effects
The most regularly occurring reactions associated with Levitra are migraine, warmth in the face, blocked or runny nasal passages, dyspepsia, and dizziness. These side effects are typically mild and do not require medical attention unless they persist or worsen.
Severe side effects
Unusual yet graver symptoms of Levitra may involve changes in vision or hearing, chest soreness, difficulty with respiration, irregular heartbeat, and persistent or painful erection. If any of these side effects become apparent the individual should consult a health expert immediately.
- Body as a whole. Levitra may cause side effects related to the body as a whole, such as chest pain, difficulty breathing, swelling of the hands, ankles, or feet, and allergic reactions.
- Auditory. Levitra may cause side effects related to the auditory system, such as changes in hearing, ringing in the ears, and sudden loss of hearing.
- Cardiovascular. Levitra may cause side effects related to the cardiovascular system, such as chest pain, irregular heartbeat, and fainting.
- Digestive. Levitra may cause side effects related to the digestive system, such as indigestion, nausea, and vomiting.
- Musculoskeletal. Levitra may cause side effects related to the musculoskeletal system, such as muscle pain and back pain.
- Nervous. Levitra may cause side effects related to the nervous system, such as dizziness, headache, and seizure.
- Respiratory. Levitra may cause side effects related to the respiratory system, such as difficulty breathing and tightness in the chest.
- Skin and appendages. Levitra may cause side effects related to the skin and appendages, such as rash and hives.
- Ophthalmologic. Levitra may cause side effects related to the eyes, such as changes in vision and sudden loss of vision.
- Urogenital. Levitra may cause side effects related to the urogenital system, such as priapism and abnormal ejaculation.
Interactions of Generic Levitra
Generic Levitra, like all medications, may interact with other drugs and substances. It is important to be aware of these interactions and to talk to a doctor before taking Levitra with other medications or substances. Below, we will discuss the interactions between Levitra and a variety of other drugs and substances.
It is inadvisable to consume Levitra concomitantly with nitrates, as that can result in a life-threatening decrease in one’s blood pressure. Nitrates exist, normally, in drugs administered to mitigate angina pectoris (chest pain) and consists of nitroglycerin, and isosorbide mononitrate.
Alcohol may increase the risk of side effects with Levitra. It is recommended to avoid alcohol while taking Levitra.
Effect of other drugs on vardenafil
- Potent CYP3A4 inhibitors. Ketoconazole and ritonavir, may increase the levels of vardenafil in the body. The dose of Levitra should not exceed 5 mg in a 24-hour period when taken with these medications.
- Moderate CYP3A4 inhibitors. Erythromycin and clarithromycin, may also increase the levels of vardenafil in the body. The dose of Levitra should not exceed 10 mg in a 24-hour period when taken with these medications.
Effects of vardenafil on other drugs
- Vardenafil may increase the levels of nifedipine in the body. Caution should be used when taking these medications together, and the dose of nifedipine may need to be adjusted.
- Ritonavir and indinavir. Vardenafil may increase the levels of ritonavir and indinavir in the body. Caution should be used when taking these medications together, and the dose of ritonavir and indinavir may need to be adjusted.
Warnings and Precautions
While Levitra is generally safe and effective when used as directed, there are certain precautions that should be taken when using Levitra. Below, we will discuss the warnings and precautions associated with Levitra.
- Cardiovascular effects – Levitra should be used cautiously by patients with heart attack, stroke, or life-threatening arrhythmias. It should also be used with caution in patients with high or low blood pressure, or in patients with unstable angina.
- Risk of priapism – Levitra may cause priapism, a rare but serious condition characterized by a prolonged and painful erection. Patients should seek medical attention immediately if an erection lasts longer than 4 hours.
- Effects on the eyes – Levitra may cause temporary changes in vision, such as blurred vision and sensitivity to light. Patients should avoid driving or doing other dangerous activities before the effect pf Levitra has worn off.
- Sudden hearing loss – Levitra may cause sudden hearing loss, which may be accompanied by ringing in the ears. Patients should seek medical attention immediately if sudden hearing loss occurs.
- Hepatic impairment – Patients with hepatic impairment should exercise extreme caution when taking Levitra, as it may be metabolized more slowly in these patients.
- Renal impairment – Levitra should be used with caution in patients with renal impairment, as it may be eliminated more slowly in these patients.
The safe maximum dose of Levitra in humans is a single 120 mg dose, according to available data. This dose was given to healthy male volunteers, who experienced reversible back pain or muscle soreness and/or abnormal vision as side effects.
It was also found that single doses of up to 80 mg and multiple doses of up to 40 mg given daily for four weeks were well-tolerated and did not cause serious side effects. However, when 40 mg of Levitra was taken twice daily, incidents of severe back pain were reported. No muscle or neurological damage was observed.
While Levitra is generally safe and effective when used as directed, there are certain contraindications to its use. Below, we will discuss the contraindications to Levitra.
Levitra should not be administered to those who are taking nitrates as it can result in a perilous decline in blood pressure. Nitrates often appear in medication used to soothe chest afflictions, like nitroglycerin, isosorbide dinitrate, and isosorbide mononitrate.
The information contained on this page is intended for educational purposes only. Since there are materials related to healthcare and healthcare products, it is logical for it to contain names of companies and products; those are used for reference and general awareness and are owned by their respective copyright owners. Our website is not associated with any of the entities or brand names mentioned on this page. None of the information contained here is intended as direct instructions to be followed by patients; prescription medications are subject to appointment by a board-certified healthcare practitioner. Failure to follow your doctor’s recommendations may result in irreversible damage to your health. User discretion is required.